Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Effing Kids

I have this really great friend- she's so fun and sweet and we get along great. And I can't stand her kids. Every time they come over they jump off my couch and they throw toys and they wrestle in the floor and scream at each other and don't listen to a word she says. She mostly doesn't do anything about it at all except maybe a "now, boys, settle down" kind of thing that does no good. I can tell she thinks I'm totally over-reacting because my oldest is a girl and doesn't do stuff like that, and she also thinks my boy just isn't old enough yet for the fuckwad genes to kick in, but it's inevitable that they will. So what, that means I shouldn't even try to make him behave himself, because he's a boy and all boys act like animals every minute of the day?

I try to ignore them and I just can't. Every time they do something else I visibly flinch and just wait for one of them to crack his head open on my fireplace. She never says anything to them until she can tell it's driving me crazy, and then she just laughs and says something about how now that I'm the mother of a boy I'm going to need thicker skin.

Boys may be boys, but my boy is going to have some mother-bitching respect for me and not act like a heathen lunatic in public. And what can I really do about her kids? Nothing. It SUCKS.

3 comments:

"Constance-1-M" said...

OH THANK GOD!!!!

I feel normal now ;)

We have neighbors whose kids act like this & I can't stand them!! They've torn up items in my yard, my flowers ~ all with just a "Now honey that's not nice" from their parents. I am so not that kind of mom!

just me said...

I have 3 boys and a girl....and the boys DID NOT get away with poor behavior just because they are boys (and frankly we've had more problems with our daughters behavior).

A good and wise friend of mine used to say to me, when I would wonder if my kids were horrible because they had done something that I figured would get them on 20/20 someday (like trying to start a fire in the back yard) that what they were doing was "age appropriate, but still inappropriate". In other words, kids were going to TRY to push the limits and are definitely going to be rambunctious...we still have to TEACH them what is acceptable.

Obnoxious kids grow up to be obnoxious adults (I'm having t-shirts made:)

ps. and this is just my opinion, but she should not be ignoring your discomfort....kind of rude in my mind and frankly I think her remarks were a way of justifying her laziness.

Constance 50 said...

I don't like the boys will be boys mentality. I was much more wild than my little bro and I am def a girl. Plus, when does it end? What exactly do you allow them to get away with becasue they are boys, you know?

I'm having issues of "different" styles of parenting. Friends sometimes bother me with their methods. I agree with another commentor that it's the parents' fault. People will end up disliking your children if they are awful heathens when you could've done something.

Just because you have a boy doesn't mean you should allow him to go crazy. *All uses of the word "you" or variations of mean the general public, not YOU.*