Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cycles and Babies and Pills, Oh My!

Okay guys, I would almost rather stay in the dark on this one, because I'm far too lazy and a tiny bit afraid to hear the truth, but I know all you Constances are a wealth of information on this subject, and I want to hear what you think!


For a little background, my daughter is almost 5, our son is almost 1, and my husband has not actually said WE'RE DONE AND SHUT UP! but I think he might like to. I want more kids real bad, but I don't want to totally nag him about it. So if I make the wrong decision on this pill thing, I don't want him to blame me and think I sabotaged the birth control on purpose.


So here's the dilemma.... I quit nursing last week. I have been on the mini pill since the baby was born. I have not gotten my cycle back yet. This perplexes me some, as I got it back with Lauren when she was only 5 months old, and I nursed exclusively for a year. But anyway. I know the mini pill has only progestin and not estrogen in it, and therefore does not regulate your cycle the way the normal pill does. At least that's what I have been told. That's what makes it safe to take while you're nursing. Am I correct so far?

With Lauren, I'm pretty sure my doctor said I should not stay on it after I weaned, because it was less effective than the regular one. I've also heard that it has a higher rate of birth defect if you do get pregnant while you're taking it.

So anyway, I called the nurse at my ob/gyn's office (different doctor than last time) this week to talk about switching pills, and she said I don't have to, that it's just as effective for contraception, and that the only reason most people want to switch is that you're more likely to have breakthrough bleeding or spotting. Since I haven't gotten my cycle back, I'm not having bleeding of any kind, and I'd rather not go to the trouble of switching if I don't have to, since this kind doesn't seem to make me gain weight or go crazy insane.

Points to ponder:

  • Is it in fact less effective? Will I get pregnant because I'm taking it and not nursing? (I'm inclined to close my ears and believe the nurse on this one, because she is the professional and the man can't be upset if I did what they told me. Nothing is foolproof.)
  • If I do get pregnant while I'm on it, what are the chances that the baby will have a third eyeball in the center of its forehead, or something equally frightening?
  • What are the chances that I will get pregnant without having had a cycle anyway? How worried do I need to be about that?
In random associated topics, I have been rather freakish lately with lunch habits. For three days in a row I have fried an entire sliced onion in butter and eaten it with Lawry's season salt and some ketchup. Yesterday I sliced an entire orange bell pepper and ate it with dill dip. I thought I hated peppers. But I couldn't stop eating it. Freaking fabulous.

I think anything weird and/or hormonal going on could be attributed to the probability that my cycle could show up any moment. But I am tired of taking pregnancy tests every other week.

What do you say? Mini pill, yes or no? And does it have anything to do with my cycle?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was exploring birth control options post baby, I asked around and found a rather alarming number of women who became pregnant while on the mini pill. My information was that since the pill is only progesterone with no estrogen, it is NOT as effective as other BC pills. But, obviously, I am not a medical professional. I did choose to take the mini pill while I nursed (I nursed exclusively AND took the mini pill and still got my period back about 4 months after I had the baby), but I was incredibly paranoid about getting pregnant while taking it b/c of all the stories I'd heard. I made it through without getting pregnant again, but only b/c I was very diligent about timing.

Misty said...

I have nothing to offer. After Jelly Bean was born, I got an IUD because if we had to rely on my pill taking abilities, we would have 40 children instead of just the two.

Good luck with your decision! Hopefully other folks know more than me :)

Anonymous said...

As I understand it (and as you know, I'm no medical professional):

1) The mini-pill IS as effective, but only if taken PERFECTLY. Like, same exact time each day and never missed.

2) If you DO miss it, you're in grave danger of pregnancy that whole cycle--unlike the regular pill, which allows a little fudging room.

3) Anecdotally, many many people have gotten pregnant on the mini-pill; far fewer on the regular pill.

4) The instructions I got from the pharmacy said birth defects if you do get pregnant while on it, but I don't know any more than that.

5) My OB said to take the mini-pill only while I was nursing, and to go back to the regular pill when the baby weaned. The reason he gave was that the mini-pill was much, much touchier: small slips lead to big problems.

6) If I were hoping for an Oops pregnancy, I wouldn't take the mini-pill because I'd be freaked about birth defects. I would instead claim to be having bad side effects from the pill so unfortunately we have to use condoms. Then I would make him responsible for remembering to use them. Then I would wait for my baby to arrive.

7) You ovulate before you get a period. So your first period when you get your cycle back will come two weeks after your first ovulation. So there will be 2 weeks when you're totally in the dark about ovulating again. Lots of women get pregnant during that cycle, because they don't realize their cycle has returned until 2 weeks later when they get their period--or start barfing.

Constance the Thirteenth said...

If you can be extremely sure about the time that you take it every day, then I would think that you would be ok on the mini pill. But if you are concerned about side effects and things like that, I think that your best bet would be to make an appointment with your OB and lay all of your concerns out on the table. Also be honest about what you are looking for - something that has a little wiggle room, something that can prevent pregnancy for a few years, etc and then see what they recommend.

I too have known lots of people who got pregnant on the mini pill, but I could say the same about regular birth control too.

Good luck!

Meredith said...

OH MY GOSH! I just stumbled on your blog but I am going through the same decision right now!!! I just weaned my 11.5 month old (this weekend), am on the mini-pill, and wouldn't mind getting pregnant. My husband - notsomuch. Anyway, I was going to go in in the next few weeks and get it switched. W/out nursing, you have a good 12% of making a baby should everything else line up. I don't know about the birth defects, but I sure know that I have had terrible acne since I got off my trusty Desogen when I first began "trying" so long ago. Good luck and be sure to share your decision...

Candid Constance said...

Oh, Constance! This CRACKED ME UP!!
"6) If I were hoping for an Oops pregnancy, I wouldn't take the mini-pill because I'd be freaked about birth defects. I would instead claim to be having bad side effects from the pill so unfortunately we have to use condoms. Then I would make him responsible for remembering to use them. Then I would wait for my baby to arrive."