Friday, January 11, 2008

Frigging Cats

Every time we go to visit my husband's stepmother we have cat issues. Now, I love cats. I really do. And so does my daughter. And if it was just the two of us visiting we might be okay. But my husband hates them and is also allergic. My sister in law hates them. My two nephews love them with a violent and close-hugging love that borders on hysteria. The cats therefore hate my nephews. And they hide. And there is yelling and tail-pulling.

And when we are all there, like for way too many days over New Year's, she puts the cats in front of the grandchildren. They are her babies, her only daily company, whereas we are just her husband's children who visit once in awhile. She gets mad when we close the bedroom doors to keep the fucking cats from jumping into our suitcases and covering our panties with their longass fur. "But they're used to being in there! This is their house too! You need to co-exist with them!" And then she wants the bathroom doors open too so they can jump on the counter and get a drink. Never mind that my baby will pull up and splash in the damn toilet.

She talks to the kids in a really mean voice when they mess with the cats. "Well, you just HAD to chase him out of there, did you? It's not like you left them many places to hide!" And then she can't understand why that pisses my poor sister in law off SO MUCH. She hasn't had kids, and you can tell, and we are all ready to quit visiting until the cats die.

Or maybe my husband will kill them.

5 comments:

C to the G said...

Oh, she's one of THOSE. A cat lady (not to be confused with one who loves cats, such as myself). Cats are cool, but they are umm, cats. They don't care if they can't sit in the damn suitcase. They find something else to sit in. Sheesh. She needs a life.

Constance the Thirteenth said...

Oh, she IS a cat lady! Ick - cats are lovely, but they are pets. She needs a new hobby.

constance the seventeenth said...

It would be unfoutunate if one of those cats got shut in the toilet. :) Oh I'm sorry the door was wide open and my baby is used to shoving things into toilets at home. They need to learn to co-exist. And hold their breaths. :)

Candid Constance said...

I hate cats. I also HATE people that treat their pets better than they treat their family. WTF?

Anonymous said...

OMG, how annoying! I love cats but that is just crazy! It reminds me of my mother-out-law who whines and bitches whenever they put their dog on the side of the house when company comes over. "Ohhhhh, poor Biscuit! She's so lonely!"

Never mind the dog has tried to attack my then infant son through the patio, tried to attach my 5 year old niece and has attempted to remove fingers from my hand. She will let her out EVERY TIME after a couple hours and the dog will try to attack someone. Damn dog. (I like dogs, too.)